Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Virtual Knitting

Simulated on the left, hand-knit on the
right. The difference is astounding, isn't it?!
I found this article the other day about computer-generated knitting, which instantly appealed to me because, hey, I'm going to go into Computer Science, so this is two of my favorite things combined! The results are pretty amazing, especially for me, because computer graphics is not my strong suit at all.

One of my favorite things about knitting is that the process of knitting, of figuring out how to create a garment and make it fit someone perfectly, is the same sort of problem solving as programming. The act of creation, whether it be to create an object for someone to wear in knitting or a functional program, is in my opinion the best part of knitting and programming.

And of course, both result in some pretty yummy garments!

No comments:

Post a Comment