Monday, November 12, 2012

November!

The semester flies by so fast! It seems like just last week, I was moving back on campus and getting ready for my new classes. Now I've got a week and a half left before Thanksgiving break, and then really only about a week or two left before the end of classes! Wow! The holiday season is always my favorite time of year, because it always makes me happy and warm...especially because I really do have an excuse to sit around knitting all day. And boy, have I been knitting!

I finally, finally, finally started my first sock project--although I don't have pictures yet, and am about halfway done with the entire project...which means I've finished my first sock and have entered the Second Sock Slump. Is that a thing? It should definitely be a thing. I'm about halfway done with the cuff of the second sock, but it's reached that point where it's starting to get tedious. But yes, socks are very easy and portable, and I've taken to taking them to all my club meetings.

To break it up, though, I made a shawl, two cowls, and just started a pair of legwarmers!



That is the Just Knit It shawl, which is the absolute best for TV knitting--just garter stitch back and forth non-stop. Both my mind and my fingers were just so happy with it! The border is this nostalgia border, which is crochet, and also very gorgeous. It gave the shawl a more feminine quality and I just thinks it looks great! I've mentioned it before, but I got new pictures, so I thought I'd mention it again. (I'm very proud of this one!)



Both the cowls I made recently were gifts, actually! First, I made another Bandana Cowl, this one in a thinner yarn, and subsequently, a smaller size for a small friend of mine. She wears it all the time. I'm glad! 


I also got around to making this Burberry-inspired cowl, which has been on my list since I rediscovered knitting last year. It's the kind of thing that only makes sense/looks like the picture on the Ravelry page when you've finished it, and not a minute before. This was for my hallmate, who my friends and I affectionately call Mommy. It was my first time trying kitchner stitch, and it was surprisingly easy, given how confused I was the first time I saw it. It wasn't exactly even, the way it came up, but it still looked pretty good for my first time! 

Lastly, I've started on Mosey, which I have lusted over for nearly as long as that mock-Burberry cowl. It's my first time reading charts for it, too! I prefer written instructions--they're usually less confusing to me, but so far, the charts haven't perplexed me at all. Hopefully it'll stay that way.

I've got almost exactly a month to go before the end of the semester...and then, I'm off to Taiwan for a month! I'm so excited to spend Christmas and New Year's with my family in Taiwan, especially because I have no memory of having ever done so. My family has always visited Taiwan in the summer during summer vacation, but now that I'm in college, we don't have to stick to that schedule anymore! First, though, I have to get through all my classes. Ahh, I can't wait! 

No comments:

Post a Comment